Monday, July 7, 2014

Under the Tuscan Sun

There are some people with whom you feel an instant connection, a kindred spirit.  Daniela was one of those people for Patty and me.  She is so vibrant, so wonderfully Italian...and can I just say here that I love how Italians speak English...they say cook-ed, or say you are very clever, and sometimes put the emphasis on the wrong syllable and it is just...delightful.  She made us a wonderful breakfast and with hugs and smiles sent us on our way through San Miniato towards Pisa.
San Miniato is set high on a hill and has a medieval quality to it.  And yes, we had to ride up and up and up some more to get there.  It is home to the chiesa San Francesco, where yesterday morning, from a half mile away when we were riding towards Daniela's house, we heard singing.The streets are very narrow and because parking is so limited, the city has built an elevator...from a parking lot up to the city.  Daniela told us that a very important bank has offices here and many people who are employed there use the tower to get to work.
We had passed a brick archway and wanting to take some pictures, I walked out into the traffic lane.  Yes, there was a car coming, but I didn't think too much about it.  The driver was motioning for me to cross...ummm, no, I don't want to cross.  I want to take a picture, and motioned that I was taking a picture.  The driver was grinning, and also motioning that she was taking a picture...then I realized...it was Daniela!  We had a good laugh about it, said more goodbyes, and headed down the hill towards Isola.

We made good time passing through Castelfranco di Sotto, Calcinaia, Uliveto Terme, and Caprona.  Above Caprona, there is a large structure built into the cliffs...not sure what it is...perhaps someone can enlighten me?
We had called Marco, our host at the B&B in Pisa, and told him we would arrive between 12 and 2.  But when we rode into Pisa, along the Acquedotto Mediceo, we looked for the Leaning Tower, as a reference to get to the B&B.  Couldn't see it.  I know, that's what I thought, ha ha. We were at the end of our Garmin loaded route, so we entered his address into the GPS.  I think EVERYTIME I have done that so far in Italy (7, maybe 8 times) the Garmin has given me a screen that says "no results found".  But today...tada...it said calculating...routing us so that we arrived at...2 pm.
An aside about the Garmins...Patty and I both purchased the Italy ds card for the Garmin...we both downloaded the same routes...but twice today,  her Garmin wanted us to do one thing and my Garmin wanted us to do something else.  It was never a major difference, but it was a little frustrating.  We have one more chance to test her model 800 and my 705 together and that is on a short out and back to Lucca tomorrow.


We showered and then headed out on foot.  Yes, we saw the tower and took the obligatory "quick...someone save the tower from falling over" photo...but it was just as much fun to take pictures of people "posing" to save the tower.  We ate dinner near the square, Patty opting for spaghetti carbonera while I had capricciosa pizza.

As I write this, it is thundering and lightning and pouring down rain.  Are you laughing?  You should be, because we are...we have had amazing weather, almost no rain at all, and our last ride of any length on this trip is a 25 miler to Lucca.  Fingers crossed.


2 comments:

  1. I don't want this trip to end:):)! But it will be great to have you home so we can talk about it.

    ReplyDelete