Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Planes, Trains, and...

Our flight to Heathrow was wonderful, even if it did not include sleep.  I loved watching the Canadian prairies and what I think was the ice of Greenland from the plane.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I spotted Downton Abbey on our descent into London.  ;)  British Airways certainly does a nice job with their meal service, and customer service in general.   I watched three movies, the best of which was Saving Mr. Banks.  12 Years a Slave and Dallas Buyer's Club were good, but oh so hard to watch.  I had been warned that security at Heathrow was especially tight and sure enough, they didn't like my 5 oz. containers of shampoo and conditioner.  I wonder where all of that confiscated stuff goes?

We had an 8 hour layover in London and tried to sleep a bit, but there was always a lot of activity and noise around us.  We were late departing for Rome but had BA's business class, and arrived around 8 pm, catching a local train, the FL1 into Rome.  The local train is almost half the cost of the Leonardo Express train and not nearly as crowded, which was a big plus with the bikes.  And...the local train arrives at our destination just five minutes longer than the speedy train takes to get to Termini station.  The bikes?  Ay-yi-yi...I have...one pedal.  Lol...it was my fault.  Note to self:  if you are going to use a bike bag make SURE you have everything thoroughly strapped down...I had my pedals in a cup with a snap-on lid and one of them...escaped.  We were on the FL1 as far as Tiburtina station and then had to catch the underground Metro to a stop 3k away (very fun, I might add, with one pedal) from our Warm Showers host.  Sound like fun?  It gets better...at 10:30 pm...in a fair amount of traffic, Patty had a flat.  Lol...what a comedy of errors!  We met our host and stowed our stuff, and are now on our way to see the Sandman.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs two pedals anyway and aren't flat tires just as good as round ones as long as you are in ITALY? Keep that positive attitude and enjoy the adventure.

    ReplyDelete